When you think of shopping with kids – it can be daunting…but it can be really beneficial for them and lets face it – as parents and care givers we need every chance we can get to acquire more patience. lol. All of that aside, kids need to learn how to go shopping, learn the rules and restrictions and reasons why we can’t buy everything in the store. Teaching them good shopping habits now will pay off in years to come. I have four kids and while I don’t often take them ALL to the store with me at the same time, I like take one or two together at a time. Each trip is a different experience – and it is always an adventure.
Having four kids – and my being almost 11 – I can hardly remember a time that we didn’t shop with or for kids. It is all I know now. So whether you are new to shopping with or for kids, or you have several years under your belt, I think these tips will be useful. Here are 5 reasons to take your kids shopping:
- Getting them out into a public place like a store will help you teach them how to act in public, how to have manners, and what is expected of them.
- Making a grocery list with them, plan out what you need and WHY and then let them help you find everything on the list. I advise against getting them a specific treat EVERY TIME you go because then it will become expected – and you don’t want them to feel entitled to a reward just because they helped.
- While you are at the store – make it a learning experience. For young kids, have them tell you colors, numbers, letters, have them help you count how many things, etc. For older kids, have them keep track of how much your have spent, adding things together, helping plan out where to go first, etc.
- Teaching your kids about using money is a life lesson and you can’t start too early. Being open and honest with your kids about your finances will help them understand
- Enjoy the bonding time with your kids. This is a great chance to visit and talk, learn about each other and have fun. Make it special and make it something enjoyable so they not only have good memories, but so they can learn from you and become smart, educated consumers.
I took my three and five year old kids with me to the store today, and we had a lot of fun shopping together. They wanted to pick out a treat, so we went and found Sprout® Organic pouches and I let them each pick a few different flavors. I choose this brand because it is important to me what my kids put in their bodies. The old adage ‘you are what you eat’ rings true. Put in good things, and good things come out. They are more productive, have more energy, happy and healthy. Sprout® Organic pouches are USDA certified organic, non GMO and are in BPA free packaging. There are no additives or fillers, and the ingredients match the name. It is a great product that I can trust for my kids and they love how good they are.
No shopping trip is complete without a good song and dance in the middle of the aisle. She definitely owns it!
Along with picking out healthy snacks like Sprout® Organic, they also love picking out fresh fruit and veggies.
Of course they love to help do everything, down to checking out and bagging it. It is great for them to learn now so they can do it for me when they get older. 😉 haha
When shopping with kids remember to make it fun and if they have a tantrum, the best way to end it is distraction. Ask them what color something is, or what they want for dinner or lunch, ask them if they remember what you are supposed to get next. Little things to get their mind off of what they were mad about and it will go smoother. I would love to hear your tips and tricks to taking kids shopping.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sprout® Organic Baby Foods. The opinions and text are all mine.