Thanksgiving is a great time of year, no doubt. For those of us who are in charge or are being hosts, it can get a little stressful and overwhelming. This series is 14 days to an easy Thanksgiving and it will walk you through the 14 days before Thanksgiving and what you can do to get ready each day, just a little project or task that will make your Thanksgiving day EASY! Most of the things are great family time ideas and things your kids can help with too!
DAY 11 – GRAVY, ONIONS, VEGETABLES
Today you can prepare the Gravy. It will keep in the fridge then you only need to heat it up and add some of the turkey drippings to it to make it seem like you just prepared it! There is a great turkey gravy recipe below if you need one.
You can also wash, peel and dice the onions today and then caramelize them so they are ready. (to caramelize the onions, simply saute them in a pan with a couple tablespoons of oil and some salt and pepper until they turn a “caramel” color). These will keep in the fridge and then you can pull them out and use them as toppings or reheat them and have them ready for the table. They reheat great in the microwave.
This is a good day to get all of your vegetables ready too. You can wash, peel and slice your carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli.
Turkey Gravy Recipe
- 5 cups turkey stock with pan drippings (or canned chicken broth, 3 cans)
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (dissolve in cold water first)
- Bring the turkey stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in soup, and season with poultry seasoning, pepper, seasoned salt, and garlic powder. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer.
- Warm the milk in the microwave, and whisk in the flour with a fork until there are no lumps. Return the gravy to a boil, and gradually stir in the milk mixture. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until thickened. Be careful not to let the bottom scorch
Thanks to Graden for this Turkey Gravy Recipe
What is your favorite food to eat on Thanksgiving?
If you missed a day, you can catch up here:
14 Days to an Easy Thanksgiving – Day 11: Gravy, Onions, & Vegetables